In this, my last column of 2020, I would like to thank Green Lodging News readers, advertisers, guest columnists, public relations representatives, and others for their support during this unprecedented year. This year, to be able to say your business survived, is an accomplishment. My heart goes out to all of you who lost your business or jobs in 2020. My wish for everyone in our industry is for a much healthier and safer 2021.
No matter what my website article tracking data says, COVID-19 was of course the story of the year in 2020—how our industry was hurt by it, how it reached out for government assistance, and how everyone innovated and pivoted to continue to operate. Yes, energy and water conservation, waste management and other topics such as green building made headlines but with COVID-19 there is no comparison.
Here then are the top 10 most read articles of the year—articles that were posted on Green Lodging News in 2020.
1. Guest Worldwide Pivots to Match Needs of Hoteliers Hit Hard by COVID-19—What is a company in the lodging industry supposed to do when a virus as harmful as COVID-19 is about to steamroll the travel industry? In the case of Guest Worldwide, a Sysco company and parent of companies including Guest Supply, Manchester Mills, and Gilchrist & Soames, its response was to react quickly, measured and with a large dose of flexibility and innovation. It also positioned itself as a “go to” source for all things COVID-19.
2. Lab Results Prove Aerus ActivePure COVID-19 Kill Effectiveness—Aerus, a global leader in surface and air purification solutions, announced that independent test results on their Hydroxyl Blaster with ActivePure Technology confirms that the product kills the SARS-CoV-2 virus on surfaces. The testing data conducted by independent Food and Drug Administration-compliant laboratory, MRIGlobal, established a 99.98 percent surface kill rate of live SARS-CoV-2 virus in seven hours. SARS-CoV-2 is the virus that causes COVID-19.
3. Coming Soon: A Website for Travelers with MCS—Teresa Molitor Luttrell, owner of the four-bedroom Enliven Bed and Breakfast in Kenmore, Wash., announced she planned to launch www.chemicalfreeinns.com by March. The site was to emphasize education, selling products that are helpful to those with MCS, and include a list of chemical free inns. The listed inns will not be certified.
4. Connecticut Company: Put Positive, Negative Ions to Work Against Coronavirus—In ensuring the safest, most sanitized space for your guests—the most protected from the New Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)—ions are your best friend. So says Steve Levine and Tony Abate from AtmosAir Solutions. Their company’s technology has been proven to eliminate the Coronavirus, other viruses, bacteria, fungi and allergens.
5. Carrier Working with ecobee, the Company Behind Wi-Fi Thermostat—Carrier, the company founded by the inventor of modern air conditioning, is working with ecobee, the company behind the world’s first Wi-Fi smart thermostat, to offer co-branded versions of the ecobee3 lite Pro and ecobee SmartThermostat Pro with voice control. These thermostats will offer a new way to experience personalized comfort and enhanced energy savings.
6. New Amenity Type is Single Use, Powder Based, in Compostable Containers—A new single use, zero plastic, powder-based amenity collection is providing hoteliers with a groundbreaking way to deliver shampoo, conditioner and body wash to guests with a lighter carbon footprint than traditional single portion plastic bottles. This new Eco Pod collection from Hotel Emporium also provides an eco-friendly and sustainable option for those not wanting to transition to refillable or non-refillable dispensers.
7. My First Extended Experience in COVID-19 Vacation Land—My family tested the waters of COVID-19 vacation land and took a week-long road trip from Tampa, Fla. to Savannah, Ga., to Asheville, N.C. and back. We spent most of our time in the Asheville area. We loved the Asheville and Savannah areas. I had heard from one hotel and restaurant company after another about their plans to clean like crazy to make their guests feel welcome and safe. This was my family’s first test to see if the hotels were doing what they said they were doing.
8. Charged Water: One Way to Sanitize, Disinfect—With so much attention on virus elimination given the COVID-19 pandemic, Green Lodging News has been exploring green cleaning technologies that make it easier for hoteliers to provide a safe, hygienic, disinfected environment for guests and employees. One such technology is electrochemical activation (ECA)—the process for creating electrolyzed water using a low electric charge and natural minerals.
9. S2A Modular Launches Search for Florida MegaFactory—S2A Modular—creator of the first electrically self-sustaining, custom and smart-connected “GreenLux” luxury residences and commercial buildings—launched a concentrated search in Florida for a location to build its third MegaFactory. The facility is projected to drive significant, positive economic impact across the region.
10. What to Keep in Mind When Considering Large-Area Spraying of Disinfectant—When MGM Resorts International outlined its Seven-Point Safety Plan for dealing with COVID-19 in a press release, it included the use of electrostatic sprayers for large public spaces “so that disinfectant is applied efficiently.” Numerous other companies have also committed to using electrostatic sprayers for public spaces. HEI Hotels & Resorts said it would use them in public and private spaces. This article explored some of the sprayers available and best practices for using them.
Got a story to share about your experience getting through 2020 or your plans for the New Year? Contact me at (813) 510-3868, or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Green Lodging News Adds Donastar Enterprises to Directory
Green Lodging News has added Donastar Enterprises LLC to its Green Product & Service Directory in the Cleaning & Maintenance/Ozonated Water category. Donastar is a North American leader of hot and cold beverage service and installations. Donastar is working with Enozo (see video). The Enozo is a way for any business to stop using plastic bottles and aerosol cans. The EnozoPRO is a portable spray bottle that replaces six cleaning products and kills 99.9 percent of all viruses and bacteria including the virus that causes COVID-19.* One need only fill it up with tap water and then recharge it. Call for more information at (833) 366-2782 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
*DISCLAIMER: The Enozo Aqueous Ozone Spray Bottle (also branded O3waterworks™) is classified as a pesticidal device under the EPA regulations. It has demonstrated effectiveness against viruses similar to SARS-CoV-2 (the virus causing COVID-19) on hard non-porous surfaces employing test methods recognized as scientifically valid in the field. However, it is important to note that unlike chemical pesticides, EPA does not routinely review the safety or efficacy of pesticidal devices, and therefore cannot confirm whether, or under what circumstances, such products might be effective against the spread of COVID-19.
Who is Your Sustainability Champion?
Green Lodging News is always looking to profile sustainability champions in our Personnel Profile section. If you would like to nominate someone for this section of Green Lodging News, contact me at (813) 510-3868, or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Looking for Guest Columnists
Every two weeks Green Lodging News posts a new guest column on its website. (Click here for examples.) The guest column also appears in the weekly e-newsletter. Green Lodging News is currently in need of industry experts to contribute occasional guest columns. Experts may include consultants, architects, designers, suppliers and those who own or operate green lodging establishments. Columns may be articles that take a stance on a particular subject or be strictly educational in nature. Columnists benefit by having their photo included along with a one paragraph description of their company. Interested in writing a column? Contact Glenn Hasek, publisher and editor, at (813) 510-3868, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get in the Green Suppliers Spotlight!
Green Lodging News, lodging’s leading environmental news source, publishes Green Suppliers Spotlight, an e-blast to 24,779 subscribers that features the lodging industry’s leading green products and services. The e-blast features multiple vendors—unlike the current Green Supplier Spotlight that allows one supplier to “own” the Green Lodging News subscriber list for one e-blast. (Click here for a Green Suppliers Spotlight sample.)
Green Suppliers Spotlight is published weekly on Thursdays to general managers, owners, management companies, directors of sustainability, directors of engineering, facilities managers and many others who are either in purchasing positions or who influence purchasing decisions. Suppliers of green products and services throughout North America and beyond are invited to participate in the e-blast. (Minimum two suppliers per e-blast.) Green Suppliers Spotlight was created to give vendors an opportunity to reach a high number of industry purchasers at a very low cost—as low as $200 per e-mail. (Click here for rate sheet.)
Those advertising in Green Suppliers Spotlight can include up to 100 words, one image, contact information and multiple links to their website in their ad. At the end of each month, a report will be sent to each supplier with information on delivered e-mails, opens and click-throughs.
Planning Advertising for 2021?
Green Lodging News is accepting reservations for advertising spots for 2021. Many excellent spots are available on our website and in the weekly e-mail newsletter. Many Green Supplier Spotlight dates are also available. Interested in receiving a 2021 media kit? Be sure to contact me as soon as possible at (813) 510-3868, or by e-mail at email@example.com. Media kits can also be accessed by clicking here. Thank you to all those companies that consistently support Green Lodging News.
Newsletter & Green Supplier Spotlight Circulation
The circulation of our weekly e-newsletter and Green Supplier Spotlight currently stands at 24,779. Thank you to our new subscribers for signing up. Be sure to encourage your colleagues to do the same. There are “subscribe” links on the Green Lodging News home page. You may also e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to our list.
Green Lodging News & Social Media
Green Lodging News now has 1,786 Twitter followers. Thank you to all of those who follow our tweets. In addition to following us on Twitter, be sure to bookmark the Green Lodging News Blog in your browser. More importantly, participate with your comments. Green Lodging News is also on Facebook. Be sure to “Like” us there. Green Lodging News now has 981 Facebook likes.
As always, I can be reached at email@example.com.