NEW YORK—A leader in the New York sustainable hospitality scene, the 100 percent wind energy-powered InterContinental New York Barclay has unveiled its signature Green Engage Meeting. The hotel hosts more than a thousand groups and meetings annually, ranging from gatherings of up to 10 to larger conferences of 200 or more guests. With the Barclay’s no-extra-cost signature Green Engage Meeting, the hotel assists planners in minimizing the negative environmental impacts of a meeting, while raising awareness in a positive way.
The Green Engage Meeting offers sustainable food, beverages, supplies, amenities and team-building eco-opportunities, all within a luxurious, urban environmentally-friendly hotel setting. A guide on sustainable meetings at the Barclay is available for planners on www.intercontinentalnybarclay.com.
“The objective of our Green Engage Meeting is to minimize the environmental impact and waste associated with meetings, while supporting healthy living choices for meeting attendees,” said Hervé Houdré, regional director of operations & general manager, InterContinental New York Barclay. “We hope to inspire clients to include responsible meetings as key criteria for future venue selection.”
The following elements are incorporated into the Green Engage Meeting unless otherwise requested:
• Local, organic, in-season produce purchased from local farms whenever possible.
• Non-endangered species of seafood served.
• Vegetarian menus available.
• Water served in pitchers unless otherwise requested.
• Condiments served in bulk unless otherwise requested.
• Disposable items and paper goods eliminated when possible.
• Lights and equipment turned off when rooms are not in use.
• Energy efficient bulbs in all meeting rooms.
• Only 50 percent lighting used when setting rooms.
• Air-conditioning/heating not used on days when meeting rooms are vacant.
• Leftover conference supplies such as pads and pens are recycled.
• Paper waste is recycled.
• Organic waste is composted.
The Barclay also offers a variety of meeting options and Beyond Green Insider Experiences to help clients produce their own unique responsible meeting. Depending upon level of interest, there are many choices available ranging from healthy menu selections to community service projects/team building eco-opportunities. These are made available to guests through the hotel’s local community partnerships and include educational, dietary, cardio-workout and community service activities. Some are free; some may require a donation.
Go to the InterContinental New York Barclay.