RIGBY, IDAHO—An enhanced technology used on the International Space Station to purify and clean the air—Titanium Dioxide Photocatalysis—is being used by Rigby, Idaho-based Pure-Light Technologies, Inc. on its indoor and outdoor LED light bulbs to produce super oxygen molecules that dissolve viruses, bacteria, mold and break down toxic VOCs. The bulbs are coated with an ultra-thin layer of Titanium Dioxide.
According to Pure-Light, Titanium Dioxide (TiO2) is one of the more common elements in the world and is rated as inert and non-toxic (MSDS rating). Because it is non-toxic, it is used in a large variety of items including vitamins, cosmetics, food coloring, paint, and sunscreens.
Robert Kemper, Executive Vice President of the Commercial Division of Pure-Light, says the oxygen from a coated bulb travels approximately 8 feet to 12 feet. In addition to dissolving viruses, bacteria, mold, cigarette smoke and breaking down toxic VOCs, the bulbs also deodorize the air since almost all odors are an organic compound. There is also a secondary effect on the surfaces of items near the light bulb, such as kitchen/bathroom counters, dishes, stoves, cutting boards, doorknobs, etc. Byproducts of the process are water and CO2.
Reduces Need for Cleaning Chemicals
Because mold is dissolved, Kemper says hotel guestrooms—especially those in warmer climates— need not be kept as cold when guests are not present. “Instead of putting the AC on 55 degrees, with our product you could put it at 70 to 72,” he says. With less to clean or disinfect, fewer cleaning chemicals are needed. “We can save a considerable amount of money on energy costs and chemical costs,” Kemper says, adding that the bulbs continue to produce oxygen even after being turned off. “We can make the room bio-static,” he says.
For both guestrooms and public areas, various bulb types are available—dimmable or non-dimmable bulbs for locations such as table lamps, globe bulbs, candelabra bulbs, can bulbs, and 4-foot tube bulbs. Pure-Light bulbs are most effective when not in an enclosed lighting fixture. It takes a minimum of 45 to 65 minutes for the environmental cleansing effect to start after the light has been turned on. Bulbs work best when left on for several hours—by housekeeping, for example.
The bulbs use 70 percent to 90 percent less energy compared to incandescent bulbs and last up to 10 years. Kemper suggests checking your utility for LED bulb rebates prior to making a purchase.
In addition to bulbs, almost every type of surface can be coated with Titanium Dioxide—even windows, Kemper says. Currently, hotel engineers and others are being trained and certified to apply that Sani-Coat HSC coating. A Train the Trainer program is available for hotel engineering departments interested in training and certifying their staffs. The coating lasts up to three to five years depending upon which level of formula is used. Level 1 and 2 of the coating require light to work but Level 3 works in both the light and the dark.
Through a distributor relationship with Pure-Light Technology, Green Lodging News is currently offering a 20 percent discount on all orders made through the Green Lodging Pure-Light website. Be sure to get your Green Lodging Summer Special 20 percent discount by entering SS21 as you order! You can also become a Pure-Light distributor through the Green Lodging News Pure-Light site and earn up to 40 percent on sales as your associates brighten their customer’s lodging experience.
Glenn Hasek can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.