SAN FRANCISCO—Sustainable interior finishes pioneer Smith & Fong Co. announced the introduction of six new colors to its award-winning Durapalm line of palmwood flooring.
Smith & Fong was the first U.S. company to manufacture, import and market palm flooring and plywood products to the North American market. Its Durapalm line is now a center of renewed design and innovation for 2020 and beyond, according to company founder and co-owner, Dan Smith.
“We have worked hard to develop a strong supply of high-quality palm from our sources in India. And the success of this has enabled us to develop the next generation of palm flooring products, including rich new colors and textures, the convenience of click-lock installation and sustainable eucalyptus or bamboo core materials, which provide superior stability,” Smith said. “These six new colors are an exciting addition to our range of modern floor finishes and just the beginning of a long line of new styles and innovations in this versatile and durable material. There is nothing else on the market that looks like a Durapalm product. It truly is unique in the world of flooring. We like to refer to it as ‘the affordable exotic.’”
New Durapalm Flooring Colors
The new Durapalm flooring colors for 2020 are as follows:
- Reef expresses the tonal range of palm, with sunburst patterns, deep notes and dynamic grain.
- Lava Stone captures the dance of earth and water, a pattern that reflects the subtle tones and textures found in weathered stone.
- Black Sand draws from the mystique of a forgotten, black-sand beach somewhere far away.
- Tropical Dusk is inspired by the last glimpse of sun as the tropical night descends.
- Brushed Tusk brings to mind sun-bleached driftwood, sand and fossils, which were the inspiration for this unique style.
- Island Starscape finds inspiration in a tropical night sky, blue/grey tones against an infinite darkness.
Durapalm flooring is available in both click-lock floating or traditional tongue and groove profiles. Planks feature a thick, durable palm wear layer over a sustainable, plantation-grown eucalyptus or stranded bamboo core. Dimensions are 9/16” x 3.5” in random lengths from 16” to 60”.
Smith & Fong has explored the potential of palm as a natural renewable resource for almost 20 years. Over this time, it has refined its sourcing and processing of this vibrant, sustainable material. Produced and fabricated in both India and China, Durapalm flooring can contribute to USGBC LEED credit for Low-Emitting Materials.