NATIONAL REPORT—For every 10 hotel executives who are men, there is one woman executive. A new coalition aims to change that.
Nineteen organizations have teamed up to form the Women in Hospitality Leadership Alliance to advance women leaders in the hospitality industry. The individual organizations will continue to work independently and will amplify their programs, messaging, and initiatives through the alliance.
Hotel industry veteran Rachel Humphrey, who leads the alliance, says: “By collaborating, we’re able to advance all these efforts, which will move the needle farther and faster for our industry. At a time when human resources and financial resources are at a premium, it is great to see these groups getting together and sharing with one another in an effort to maximize the impact of each and collectively of all.”
Conversations Began Last November
The alliance began conversations in November 2021 and met in person at the Americas Lodging Investment Summit, a subsidiary of PhocusWire parent company Northstar Travel Group, in January 2022. The group has connected regularly since then to share participants’ goals, upcoming efforts, educational resources, and event information.
Participating organizations include:
- African Association of Women in Tourism and Hospitality
- ForWard: Women Advancing Hospitality
- Asian American Hotel Owners Association
- Boutique Lifestyle Leaders Association/Travel Industry Executive Women’s Network
- Castell, an AHLA Foundation Project
- DEI Advisors
- FAB Workshop
- Forum on Leadership for Women by Red Roof
- WINiT by Global Business Travel Association
- Howard University School of Business Marriott-Sorenson Center for Hospitality Leadership
- International Society of Hospitality Consultants/Questex Diversity Council
- Inspiring Women in Hospitality
- Latino Hotel Association
- She Has a Deal including Fortuna’s Table
- Women Leading Travel & Hospitality
- Women in Travel Thrive
- Women Own the Room by Wyndham
Andrea Foster of Marcus Hotels & Resorts and Talene Staab of Hilton Hotels & Resorts are contributing their guidance.