MIAMI—ABCO Cleaning Products, a leader in sustainable cleaning tools, today released five key considerations for making the switch to a more eco-friendly approach to cleaning.
“As a company that fully integrates sustainability, we understand the positive impact that environmentally and socially responsible cleaning programs have on a business’s bottom line and brand reputation,” said Carlos Albir Sr., President, ABCO. “These recommendations will help facilities implement cleaning programs that are better for the environment, and better for business.”
Five important considerations when making the shift to sustainable cleaning include:
- Assess the entire cleaning program. During the COVID-19 pandemic, it may be tempting to focus narrowly on finding an effective disinfectant. While disinfection is critical, it is only one part of a sustainable cleaning program. There are additional opportunities for greening your cleaning program, such as purchasing Green Seal GS-20 certified mop heads and dust mops or other cleaning tools certified by independent third-party organizations. Consider each category of your program, from chemicals to tools to equipment to labor, to reduce consumption.
- Expand your definition of sustainability. The term “sustainability” means more than just reduced environmental impact. Economic sustainability means adopting cleaning practices and products that support long-term fiscal growth but avoid harming surrounding communities. Meanwhile, social sustainability accounts for impacts on individual people. Consider whether products were manufactured ethically, and how they might impact custodial workers and building occupants.
- Beware of greenwashing. Some companies employ greenwashing, using buzzwords like “green” and “energy-saving” and deceptive imagery, to elevate the perception that their product is sustainable. Look past the product label and be skeptical of unsubstantiated claims that lack supporting evidence. Research companies and their business practices to ensure the product is truly sustainable.
- Confirm the efficacy of products. In the age of COVID-19, only products that truly remove and kill germs effectively will suffice. Some facility managers may question sustainable cleaning products, but many environmentally responsible cleaning solutions are as or more effective than their conventional counterparts. Check product labels for efficacy data and follow manufacturer instructions to combat germs with maximum effectiveness.
- Train and explain. Since the public has heightened awareness about cleanliness due to the pandemic, employees must understand how to use each new cleaning product and why they are being used. This ensures they will be able to answer questions like which cleaner is used to mop the floor. With the proper training, team members will be armed with knowledge about their revamped cleaning program and confident in conversations with customers.
“Companies are increasingly looking for ways to reduce their environmental footprints. Investing in a sustainable cleaning program is one method of doing so, and we hope this guidance makes the transition easier,” added Albir.
For more information, visit www.abcoproducts.com.