In a little less than seven weeks, it will be earth day. It is a perfect time to celebrate your property’s environmental accomplishments. Environmentalism is not all about doom and gloom; it is about doing positive things on property and in the community as well. Don’t be afraid to party a little bit—responsibly, of course. Here in the Cleveland area, residents will congregate at the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo. Exhibitors ranging from auto makers to local farmers will be on hand. I plan to be there. Hey, I always fit in at the zoo.
What are you planning for Earth Day? It is not too late to plan a fun activity. Use the occasion to reward your staff for their efforts to recycle and conserve resources. Plan an event for your guests—maybe a reception where organic wines and other natural items are served. Invite local dignitaries and business officials to stop by to learn about the positive things you are doing. It just might bring you some new business. The remainder of this column includes a few examples of what some hoteliers are planning for April 22. Feel free to e-mail me with your own plans. I will include them in Green Lodging News in the weeks ahead.
Earth Day Activities
• At the Balsams Grand Resort Hotel in Dixville Notch, N.H., associates there will plant trees, help clean up area road sides and hold a barbecue. Guests driving to the hotel in hybrid vehicles will receive a free lunch. The Balsams is managed by Delaware North Companies Parks & Resorts.
• At Asilomar State Beach and Conference Grounds in Pacific Grove, Calif., Asilomar plans to host more than 120 local elementary school children, teachers, parents and employees. An Earth Day poster contest will be held and there will be interactive and interpretive displays. An electric vehicle will be there and food and snacks will be organic. Asilomar is also managed by Delaware North.
• At the Inn By the Sea in Cape Elizabeth, Maine, trees will be planted on the grounds of the inn in recognition of one of the inn’s repeat guests. After the tree plantings, a community beach cleanup will be held. The inn will supply all of the supplies for the cleanup. After the cleanup, a family ice cream sundae event is planned.
• The Furnace Creek Inn & Ranch Resort in Death Valley will sponsor the Ashland (Ore.) Earth Festival and have a booth at the event. The main theme will be global warming. To attract visitors to the booth, there will be live music, including the playing of a locally composed piece called “Earth Day Blues.” Polar bear magnets donated by the World Wildlife Federation will be given away and recyclable shopping bags will be on sale. Furnace Creek is managed by Xanterra Parks & Resorts.
• The Doubletree Hotel & Executive Meeting Center Portland-Lloyd Center is planning a variety of activities during its Earth Week leading up to Earth Day. A Green Star Employee will be chosen. That person will be someone who has shown exceptional environmental leadership and creative thinking. Earth Week will conclude with an annual awards banquet on Earth Day. During the banquet, the hotel’s sustainability efforts will be summarized. The banquet will be a carbon neutral event.
Odds and Ends
Green Lodging News welcomes Leonardo Media B.V. as a Green Product Directory sponsor. Leonardo is a world leader in travel content management, e-marketing and content distribution solutions for the global travel industry. Leonardo’s electronic solutions are designed to simplify the management and optimization of interactive rich media content, the creation and delivery of e-marketing promotions and e-brochures, and the automation of image distribution to travel channels. Leonardo provides a one-stop central source for travel channels and travel partners to receive up-to-date digital interactive travel content in the variation of formats that they require. Additional information about Leonardo can be found at www.leonardo.com. You may also e-mail Kelly Marlow at email@example.com or click here.
As always, I can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling (440) 243-2055. I look forward to hearing from you.