REVERE, MASS.—Mohegan Sun Massachusetts is expected to be among the greenest resort casinos in the nation, with one of the highest LEED scores of any such facility in the industry. This is according to points earned from the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) certification program that recognizes building best practices and scores various elements and features.
The Massachusetts Chapter of the American Institute of Architects (AIA MA) has also commended Mohegan Sun Massachusetts, calling it “markedly superior in every design aspect” compared to a Wynn Resorts proposal for Everett, Mass.
In a letter to the Massachusetts Gaming Commission, the AIA MA praised Mohegan Sun Massachusetts’ design for its creativity, sustainable features and strong connections to public transportation, the beach and the surrounding community.
“The Revere design is curvy, playful, fun architecture that fits Revere’s long history of recreation and entertainment….The proposed project feels like a true destination,” said the AIA MA in the letter to the Gaming Commission.
Developers to Pursue LEED Gold
Designed by Kohn Pedersen Fox, Mohegan Sun Massachusetts will be a $1.3 billion LEED Gold project with sustainability and environmental efficiency incorporated into all aspects of design and construction. Forty percent of the power generated from Mohegan Sun Massachusetts will be supplied in a carbon neutral manner, while 50 percent of the site is open space.
“Mohegan Sun Massachusetts will be a true destination in every sense of the word—building on the unique character of Revere and featuring large amounts of open space that connect seamlessly to public transportation, the beach and our neighboring communities,” said Mitchell Etess, CEO of the Mohegan Tribal Gaming Authority. “We have invested much time and resources to create an outstanding design that includes the best sustainability features. It is unlike any other project in the nation and another clear demonstration of why Mohegan Sun Massachusetts is the best choice for the Commonwealth.”
Mohegan Sun Massachusetts will also feature 5,000 square feet of greenhouse space to help supply an on-site restaurant with fresh produce; landscaped courtyards and open space throughout; and a public plaza entrance at Winthrop and Washburn avenues as the main access point from the Beachmont MBTA station and MBTA buses.
Other Mohegan Sun Massachusetts features include:
• Close access to public transportation, just 150 feet away—unique in the industry;
• On-site bicycle accommodations, including a “Beach to Beach” bicycle connection planned for Easton Boston and Revere;
• Electric vehicles for maintenance and security, and electric vehicle charging stations for both staff and public use;
• Preferential parking for low-emitting fuel-efficient vehicles;
• Solar panels on the roof to generate on-site renewable energy—capable of saving 800 tons of CO2 a year;
• Energy-efficient lighting and mechanical systems and Energy Star rated equipment;
• A 1 MW gas-fired cogeneration plant that enables Mohegan Sun Massachusetts to offset power grid demands;
• Solid food waste recycling program to create electricity and anaerobic digestion;
• Innovative drainage system and water-conserving fixtures to target a 30 percent reduction in water consumption; and
• Maximum use of natural light to reduce power output.
Mohegan Sun Massachusetts will feature two hotels and world-class dining, shopping and entertainment amenities located on 42 acres in Revere.
Go to Mohegan Sun Massachusetts.