BETHESDA, MD.—Host Hotels & Resorts, Inc., the nation’s largest lodging real estate investment trust, announced that it has been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) North America for the second consecutive year, joining the top 20 percent of the largest and most sustainable North American companies of the S&P Global Broad Market Index across 58 industries. The company also achieved Sector Leader for Hotels, Green Star status and a 5 Star Rating from the Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark (GRESB); and received the National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts’ (NAREIT) Lodging/Resorts Leader in Light award. Additionally, for the first time, the company released a 2018 Corporate Responsibility (CR) Highlights report, which provides a summary of results and progress over the last reporting year along with future commitments.
“We are truly honored by this sustainability leadership recognition,” said Joanne Hamilton, Executive Vice President of Human Resources and a champion of the Corporate Responsibility initiatives at Host. “Our focus has always been bringing long-term value to our investors, employees, stakeholders and community. Our program has had a milestone year and we look forward to continuing our progress.”
Notable CR Achievements Highlighted Within the 2018 Report
- Achieving 2020 environmental targets three years ahead of schedule, including a greenhouse gas target verified by the Science Based Targets initiative.
- Integrating Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB) standards in its 10-K filing, which was recognized as best practice by SASB.
- Strengthening its connection with local communities, including supporting over 150 charities of which 60 percent were employee-selected and organizing employees to participate in 10 service events, volunteering 460 hours.
- Investing $38 million in projects with sustainable attributes.
- Mapping its CR strategy and programs to align with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals and with its hotel management company CR platforms.
- Establishing a renewable energy target of 30 percent of the company’s total electricity consumption by 2025 and setting an internal price of carbon to help inform investment decisions in energy efficient technologies and renewable energy.
In 2019, the company will be working to establish new company goals and accompanying policies. To read more, view the 2018 CR Highlights report on the company website in the Corporate Responsibility section.