FORT WASHINGTON, PENN.—A strong majority of Americans (86 percent) say a clogged public restroom toilet would negatively impact their perception of a business, according to a recent survey commissioned by Sofidel, a leading global provider of paper for hygienic and domestic use. The survey, conducted online by Harris Poll, February 6 to 8 among 2,079 U.S. adults ages 18 and older, also found that more than three-fourths of Americans (76 percent) have experienced a clogged toilet in a public restroom.
“Clogged toilets can result in foul odors, restroom closures, disgruntled customers and increased maintenance costs for businesses,” said Fabio Vitali, Vice President AFH Marketing & Sales for Sofidel America. “It’s crucial that business owners and managers properly maintain restrooms and carefully select products that enhance guest satisfaction and the bottom line.”
The poll revealed that:
- 4 in 10 Americans have encountered a bathroom closed due to a clogged toilet; and
- 49 percent of Americans have experienced foul restroom odor due to a clogged toilet.
The survey also provided insight about what types of businesses could be most impacted by clogged toilets:
- Restaurants faced the most potential backlash, with 71 percent of Americans saying that a clogged toilet at a restaurant would negatively impact their perception of the business;
- More than half (56 percent) would have a negative perception of a hotel with a clogged toilet;
- Nearly half would have a negative perception of a grocery store (49 percent) or retail store (47 percent); and
- Clogged toilets also negatively impact the perceptions of travelers on airplanes (46 percent) or cruise ships (45 percent).
To reduce the occurrence of restroom clogs in commercial settings, Sofidel offers Bio Tech toilet paper. Bio Tech uses Biologic Active Tissue Paper (BATP) technology to produce enzymes that help disinfect restroom pipes and limit clogs as quickly as after one month of use. Studies demonstrate that the exclusive use of Bio Tech can provide total savings of up to 40 percent compared to standard toilet paper.
Sofidel’s Dissolve Tech hand towels also reduce clogs because they dissolve in less than three minutes if they are accidentally flushed down the toilet. The towels feature strong resistance and high water absorbency capacity during hand drying.