ATLANTA—The Ellis Hotel has a heart of green. The recently renovated property, downtown Atlanta’s only independent hotel, has earned Silver certification to Green Seal’s Standard for Hotels & Lodging Properties (GS-33). This achievement, which has only been attained by four other Georgian hotels, is based on a rigorous, independent evaluation of The Ellis Hotel’s features, operations and processes.
“We salute the Ellis Hotel for its leadership in sustainability as a Green Seal-certified hotel,” said Arthur B. Weissman, Ph.D., Green Seal’s president and CEO. “Its continual innovation shows how sustainability can position hotels at the cutting edge of the market and appeal to savvy, well-informed travelers.”
Earning this qualification is no easy feat. Environmentally- and socially-conscious hotels like The Ellis must demonstrate their commitment to:
- Protecting human health and environment—using nontoxic, biodegradable housekeeping products and nontoxic paints with minimal VOCs.
- Demonstrating stewardship—having an environmental mission and purchasing policy.
- Conserving water—incorporating water-efficient landscaping and groundskeeping measures, and installing water-saving fixtures in guestrooms and public areas.
- Conserving energy—installing 100 percent energy-efficient lighting in all guestrooms and public areas and using energy-efficient appliances and windows.
- Reducing waste—minimizing use of disposable items and having recycling and composting programs.
“The Green Seal Certification is synonymous with sustainability leadership, and we’re so honored to receive this recognition,” said Kim Kleisner, General Manager of The Ellis Hotel. “We want our guests to know they can have a chic, stylish experience without sacrificing sustainability—right in the heart of downtown Atlanta.”
The Green Seal certification is one of many initiatives from The Ellis Hotel supporting a sustainable, wellness-oriented hotel experience. The hotel is a proud participant in Clean the World’s soap recycling program, and offers a unique Fresh Air Floor, an allergen- and irritant-free space where guests can breathe easy. Additionally, their Wellness Room is outfitted with more than $5,000 of wellness products for relaxation, rejuvenation and the best possible night’s sleep.