SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO, CALIF.—Soul Community Planet (SCP) announced the acquisition of the 41-room, beachfront Laguna Riviera Beach Resort. The historic Laguna Beach hotel marks SCP’s first expansion into California, and its sixth hotel overall. The acquisition advances SCP’s plan to expand its footprint into communities that align with SCP’s healthy, kind, green values.
Opened in 1948, the Laguna Riviera is located directly on the beach just two blocks south of Downtown Laguna Beach. Described as a part French Riviera and part Mediterranean retreat, the resort boasts scenic coastal views, direct access to surfing and stand-up paddle boarding, and features a variety of room categories, including oceanfront studios to grand one-bedroom suites, many with a full kitchen, private oceanfront decks, and fireplaces.
The hotel will maintain the Laguna Riviera Beach Resort name while undergoing the planned multi-million-dollar renovation and repositioning program. The design effort, led by Kelly Ogden of ELK Collective, will infuse the hotel with SCP’s signature “Scandi-boho” design aesthetic, new landscaping and exterior, and will incorporate SCP’s distinct brand features throughout. Upon completion of the renovations, the hotel will be rebranded as the SCP Laguna Beach. Opening rates at the SCP Laguna Beach will start at $250.
SCP announced earlier this year it will become fully vegetarian across all of its venues, achieve net zero waste company-wide, and standardize all of its guestrooms on its signature “Peaceful Rooms” design by the end of 2022. These and other SCP brand services and programs are planned to be featured at the new SCP Laguna Beach. The SCP Laguna Beach is also planned to feature a signature SCP’s Provisions Market, which will offer wholesome, locally sourced, fresh, organic food and drink, including local craft beer, California wine, kombucha and coffee, along with local arts and crafts items.
Other branded amenities and programs planned:
Every Stay Does Good—Through Every Stay Does Good, every guest check-in to an SCP Hotel drives measurable positive impacts to the world through SCP’s partners. The Every Stay Does Good program is oriented around SCP’s core values:
- Soul—Through SCP’s partnership with WE Well-Being, every guest stay at an SCP Hotel provides one adolescent with well-being tools and resources to help build life-long mental health skills. More than 30,000 adolescents have been helped to date through this program.
- Community—Through SCP’s partnership with Orange County’s Miracles For Kids, every guest stay at an SCP Hotel provides 24 hours of electricity to light the home of a family of a critically ill child. More than 340,000 hours of light have been provided through this program to date.
- Planet—Through SCP’s partnership with One Tree Planted, every guest stay at an SCP Hotel results in one tree being planted in an unnaturally deforested area. To date, more than 40,000 trees have been planted through this program.
- Net Zero Waste—SCP hotels achieve meaningfully lower waste production than typical hotels through extensive use of eco-friendly materials in its renovations, incorporating new energy-efficient systems and solar power, locally sourced fresh food, and by implementing regenerative local composting programs at each property. SCP is committed to eliminating the use of single-use plastic water bottles and utensils and offers guests refill water stations to encourage use of reusable plastic bottles throughout their travels. SCP is working with EarthCheck for ongoing third-party certification of its Net Zero Waste program.
- Fair Trade Pricing—Through SCP’s Fair Trade Pricing program (FTP), guests determine the price they pay for their stay based on the quality of their experience. Through FTP, SCP holds itself accountable for providing exceptional guest experiences.
- SCP Commons—The SCP Laguna Beach will house a communal co-working space for the growing numbers of digital nomads and bleisure travelers who are looking to successfully blend work and play while on the road.
- SCP Fit—The property will feature a new wellness facility with a Peloton bike, TRX system, yoga and space for stretching.
SCP Hotels are currently located in Colorado Springs, Colo., Redmond and Depoe Bay, Ore., Hilo, Hawaii, and the Salishan Coastal Lodge by SCP in Gleneden Beach, Ore. SCP is actively expanding into markets that share its core values and culture, with the goal of introducing at least 25 SCP locations in the U.S. by the end of 2023.
San Juan Capistrano, Calif.-based Soul Community Planet was born out of a vision to provide holistic hospitality experiences for individuals desiring to make positive choices for themselves, our communities, and the planet. SCP provides clean, fresh, energy efficient, low-waste accommodations, fitness and coworking. SCP supports a range of causes that align with its vision through its Every Stay Does Good program and by donating 5 percent of its profits to causes which share its core values. For more information, visit www.soulcommunityplanet or www.scphotel.com.