LOS CABOS, MEXICO—Solmar Hotels & Resorts, a seven property resort collection located in Cabo San Lucas is turning the spotlight on voluntourism through The Solmar Foundation this holiday season.
A nonprofit organization, the Solmar Foundation was founded in honor of the late Solmar group founder and Los Cabos tourism pioneer, Don Luis Bulnes, and offers Cabo visitors various ways to get involved with the community through a series of voluntourism programs this holiday season.
Through the Solmar Foundation Solmar guests have the opportunity to volunteer, visit and sponsor over 30 charitable organizations in Baja California Sur that provide health assistance, education and other critical social services to families living in poverty, women, children and the elderly.
The Foundation’s “Donations in Actions” program provides a series of programs in which visitors can contribute to local charities:
- Food Drives and Hands-On Activities: Food drivers are a fantastic bonding activity for the whole family which allows visitors to participate in the entire food drive process from packing to serving just as they might stateside. Volunteers can also partake in hands-on activities that include painting homes, repairing, carpentry and more.
- “Bring a Thing” Drive: Year-round, the Solmar Foundation accepts the donation of school supplies, toys and clothing for babies, children and women to be distributed to schools, orphanages and other charity organizations.
- Helping Hands Tour: In this tour visitors get an insider’s look at the day-to-day work of the Foundation. Guests visit four organizations: San Juan Diego Shelter, San Miguel Nursing Home, Cabo San Lucas Orphanage and Niños del Capitan. The free weekly tours take place every Wednesday and Thursday from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Facebook Donations: Those who don’t have the chance to be hands-on with the organization during their visit to Los Cabos can keep up with Solmar Foundation news and events via their Facebook page. Donations can be made directly through the page or the Foundation’s website.
- Optional Donation: Solmar guests are offered an optional $10 donation upon checkout. Guests will find this item in their final bill and can choose to apply it to their charges. If interested in giving more, guests can arrange their donation through the front desk.
For more information about the Solmar Foundation, visit: http://solmarfoundation.com/.