ATLANTA—InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG), one of the world’s leading hotel companies, announced new Responsible Business targets for 2020, alongside details of the progress the company has delivered against its previous five-year targets.
Published in the online 2017 Responsible Business Report, the new 2018-2020 targets focus on four areas where IHG believes it can have the most positive impact: environmental sustainability, community impact, people and responsible procurement.
“Many companies have responsible business commitments, but with hotels in local communities all over the world, IHG touches the lives of millions of people,” says Keith Barr, CEO, IHG. “This puts us in a unique position to make a real difference—whether that be doing the right thing for the environment, providing skills and employment to local people, or stepping up to help communities in times of need.
“We are very proud of our achievements against our five-year responsible business targets, which reflect the dedication and support of our people, hotel owners and partners globally,” Barr adds. “However, we know that there’s always more to do and our new targets are testament to our ongoing commitment to build on our successes and to play an ever more positive role in local communities around the world.”
Achievements Against 2013 to 2017 Targets
IHG delivered good results against its 2013-2017 targets. This included progress in several areas, such as driving a reduction in carbon and water usage across its hotels globally and providing skills to thousands of people living in the local communities around them. IHG also gained significant external recognition for its efforts, including being crowned an industry leader for sustainability in the 2017 S&P Dow Jones Sustainability Indices—the most prestigious global benchmarks for corporate economic, environmental and social performance.
Here are some examples of 2013-2017 targets achieved:
- Provided skills and improved employability to 40,000 people via the IHG Academy.
- Reduced carbon footprint per occupied room by 12 percent.
- Reduced water use per occupied room in water-stressed areas by 12 percent.
- Tracked and reported diversity within IHG’s supply chain.
- Integrated corporate responsibility criteria into the selection and evaluation process for all preferred suppliers.
Building on its successes, IHG has worked closely with its owners, suppliers, colleagues and external stakeholders to set 11 new targets that will guide its work over the next three years. These stretching targets focus on four areas where IHG believes it can make the greatest positive impact—environmental sustainability, community impact, people, and responsible procurement. They are also designed to support several of the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals.
Here are a few examples of 2018 to 2020 Goals:
- Reduce carbon footprint per occupied room by 6 to 7 percent.
- Launch two water stewardship projects per year.
- Raise $3 million to support communities through the IHG Foundation.
- Increase the percentage of IHG preferred suppliers that meet IHG Green Criteria.